Today I am going to talk to you about how depression, Covid-19 and todays kids are responding. I work at a non-profit organization with at risk teenage boys. Over the past several months we have had several come in that when asked why you relapsed their response was “I was bored”. Anyone who has kids understands the importance of keeping them busy to keep them out of trouble. Growing up my great grandmother Bessie would tell me Idol hands are the devils workshop.
What is Depression?
Other wise known as major depressive disorder or clinical depression with many of todays youth dealing with this major mood disorder. This is the loss of interest in things they once enjoyed and find life the be hopeless.
DSM 5 Diagnositc Criteria
The DSM-5 outlines the following criterion to make a diagnosis of depression. The individual must be experiencing five or more symptoms during the same 2-week period and at least one of the symptoms should be either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or pleasure.
- Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day.
- Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day.
- Significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain, or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day.
- A slowing down of thought and a reduction of physical movement (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down).
- Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day.
- Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day.
- Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day.
- Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide.
To receive a diagnosis of depression, these symptoms must cause the individual clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. The symptoms must also not be a result of substance abuse or another medical condition. (DSM 5)
School for the 2020-2021 School Year
The powers that be are discussing the cancellation of school for the upcoming school year, for many at risk youth this could be very dangerous. Our youth today need to have social interaction with their peers. Parents need to be able to go back to work and Teachers need to get back to what they love. If we continue to isolate the kids today, the only thing we will experiance is the possibility of the rise is in Substance Use, Sex among kids and the real possibility of the increase of suicides we need to get back to bussiness. Maybe modify the school year, but cancelling sports, and UIL activities is just insane.
Parents, teachers, politicians, grandparents, aunts, uncles and caregivers if you see any of the signs listed above please get your child some help do not ignore these signs.
I would like to take a moment of silence and bow our heads as we pray for those afflicted by depression, covid-19, drug use-and ask that God keep us all safe from harm. Thank you for listening, if you have any feedback or have a topic you would like to hear more about please email me at email@example.com or visit my website tinahuseth.com
Categories: Mental Health
Anger Management and Substance Abuse Counselor seeking to help Texans control their life.